This all in one soup is one of those go to soups for an amazing taste from very little ingredients, the roasting process bringing out all the wonderful flavours of the Sweet Potato, Carrots, Onion and Garlic. If you don’t like it too spicy, go easier on the Chilli Flakes.
It’s silky smooth texture but hearty fill make this an excellent winter warmer lunch that will easily keep you going till dinner.
- Prep Time 8-10 minutes
- Cook Time 20-25 minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 3-4 Medium Carrots
- 100g or 4 oz Red Lentils
- 1 Onion
- 5-6 Garlic Clothes
- 2.5 Pints of stock
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 2 tsp Coriander ground or fresh
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper seasoning
- Turn on oven to warm 200C/ Fan 180C / 400 F/Gas 6
- Wash, peel and chop vegetables putting approx 1/4 of the onion to the side, the garlic cloves can be peeled and left whole. Or if you like a strong garlic flavour you can use a whole one part peeling keeping it together and chopping the pointed ends off so it will bake in one. (See photograph below).
- Pour some of the olive oil on the tray, then place the chunks of sweet potato, carrot, 3/4 of the onion and garlic on the tray, pour on the rest of the oil, chilli flakes, salt and pepper over the vegetables and mix everything together with your hands, ensuring everything has a coating of oil, (add a little more oil if necessary)
- Pop in the oven for 10-15 mins or until vegetable are soft
- Place a little oil in a large saucepan, heat and add the onion to soften and the lentils and 3-4 table spoonfuls of stock and cook for 3-4 mins keeping an eye, then put the rest of the stock into the pan and simmer for about 8 mins until the lentils are cooked.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add them into the stock and blend with a hand blender or transfer to a liquidiser in batches.
- Once blended return to the hob to heat season to taste and add the coriander. Stir in and serve.
Other Soup Recipes
Click on the links below to see some of my other favourite soup recipes you may like.