This seriously tasty comfort soup is smooth and full of flavour. It really is a meal in itself, an ideal curl up cosy dinner on a cold and wet day, when you just want to keep the door shut and the fire on. Having said that, I have also used it as a starter for a dinner party, perhaps limit the amount served and the breadbasket otherwise they will be full before main!
Like most soups it can be adapted and there are other versions to try that include cream and not potato, as well as other adaptations.
I like to keep it simple and easy, and as no oven baking is required it’s super quick!
- Prep time 4 mins
- Cook time 10-15 mins
- Serves 4
- 1 Whole Broccoli
- 1 Small Potato
- 1 Onion preferably white, (you can use red, it just changes the colour slightly)
- 80g of Stilton or blue cheese
- 2 heaped tsp butter
- 1 pint of vegetable stock
- Black Pepper for seasoning
- Chop up the onion, potato and broccoli (including the stalk- chop the stalk and potato small)
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onion, allow to soften (around 2-4 mins) and add some water if needed.
- Add all of the chopped broccoli, potato and stock. Once it starts to boil turn down to simmer for about 5-8 mins or until you can get a fork in the broccoli and potato.
- Once soft, turn off heat add pepper and crumble or grate in the cheese, stir in to give it chance to melt, then hand blend or pop into a liquidiser.
- Add more pepper to taste
- Serve and enjoy.
Other Soup Recipes
Below are my other favourite soup recipes you may like